Pages

9.26.2011

The Great Fear

"Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous? Actually, who are you not to be? You are a child of God. Your playing small does not serve the world. There is nothing enlightened about shrinking so that other people won't feel insecure around you. We are all meant to shine, as children do. We were born to make manifest the glory of God that is within us. It's not just in some of us; it's in everyone. And as we let our own light shine, we unconsciously give other people permission to do the same. As we are liberated from our own fear, our presence automatically liberates others."-Marianne Williamson

Marianne Williamson describes hatred as an alternative description for fear. Think back to every time you've complained about the things you hate about life and society. I reflect on why I loath these things with such intensity. Until reading A Return to Love I would have thought hate was just one of those mystifying emotions that we as humans may never get a handle on. That feeling in the pit of your stomach that screams "this doesn't feel good." Now, I have come to the conclusion that maybe she is right. Maybe the things that we hate the most are the exact things that unintentionally stir up an underlying fear from within.

Here's my confession: I hate being normal. My fear is that everyday I slave away for those precious dollars at a 9-5 job, I lose a part of myself. Everytime I take on a role that is unfulfilling I feel I have committed the greatest sin. As the fear permeates throughout my thoughts, other attributes are effected. I my confidence slowly chips away, my demeanor unenthusiastic, and my attitude steadily becoming more artificial in an attempt to please everyone. My fear is that I may die one day without having made a profound impact on the world. My fear is that this nornal lifestyle is quite frankly the key to a depressing future.

The fear is overwhelming at times. But there's a part of myself that vehemently resists all attempts at being normal. It resists the urge to fit the mold. I desperately seek to be unique and different yet  have no idea how to translate this in a way that normal people will understand.

This may sound a bit arrogant but I believe I was specially made for something great. However this fear stifles my growth. It's stifles us all. Your great fears may be profoundly different from mine, but there is no denying that fear inhibits us from some activity that we truly want to do.

Within the next 30 days I fully intend to disregard my great fears. My intention is to not only test the amount of achievements made in this time period but to gain that sense of relief in my spirit that I am doing exactly what I was put on this earth to do. I'm tired of being average. There are enough average people walking the earth. It's time to be extraordianry. Definitely will keep you posted.

Enjoy
xxx

1 comment:

Kam said...

Heya :) nominated you for an award on my blog http://www.andpause.com/2011/10/kreativ-blogger-award.html X

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...