Pages

7.27.2011

Why No One Helps You

On Sunday afternoon I made the long trek into Boston. The sun was out, the temperature was nice, and all was good in the neighborhood. I was especially happy because after months of having to listen to other people's conversations, birds, trucks etc I now had an Ipod to drown out the outside world. Funny how that didn't work though because as soon as I stepped onto the subway a behind me exclaimed "Excuse me ladies and gentlemen!". Oh brother.

All eyes shot to her with a bit of shock but no one made any sudden movements. Because she was standing right behind me it was hard simply ignore her and turn up the volume to my ipod. So I pressed paused and listened.

"I don't mean to do this to you. I know everyone of you wouldn't want to be in this situation. I know some of you are parents who love your kids dearly..." At this point almost everyone returned to what they were doing. A few continued conversations with their friends. Others looked down into the hands with extreme concentration trying to memorize every wrinkle. Then there were those who just turned their backs to her pretending as if her loud boisterous voice were just a whisper. We all knew what was coming.

"I have a daughter in Providence about to be dropped off. I left my wallet at home. I have absolutely no money. If any one of you could spare any money please it would help me so much."

A silence ensued. She huffed with breaths of exhaustion as if she had been running rapid in the streets of Boston looking for spare change. You could see the sense of desperation in her eyes. But like creatures of habit, everyone was hesitant. Shoulders went up while clutching their purses tightly to their body. Eyes rolled skyward. And I was one of them. Pessimistic. Surmising she would take the money and just use it for drugs. After all isn't that what they all do?

I turned my Ipod back on, but kept the music low.

"Please! I need help. No one will help me."

Right there a chord struck inside of me. I went in my bag, pulled out my wallet and drew out a crisp dollar bill and handed it to her.

So why did I do it? Because over the last months or so I have been struggling. Wishing that someone could just give me a hand. Praying that God would see my strife and alleviate it. But nothing. (at least for a while). No one had faith in me. And it's no mystery why because it was clear I didn't have faith in myself so why would anyone else trust me?

We tend to hesitate to help people because we don't trust their intentions. So when that lady (who by the way had on clean clothes, combed hair and was carrying a backpack) said the last line I imagined myself in her place. I imagined me being the people I ask help for. In that moment I realised why no one wanted to help me. Not because they didn't want to. Because they were unsure of my intentions. They didn't want to help me only to feel scammed moments later.

Giving that money to her had nothing to do about the money. I learned a valuable lesson that day, so she deserved to be rewarded for it.

I encourage everyone to stop the hesitation when someone asks for help. Those moments open an opportunity for you to impact society. It's not really your business what they do with the assistance you give them. You're job is to be a positive impact. Besides it's good karma and it will always come back to you ten folds.

xxx
Enjoy

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...