Pages

9.02.2011

Who Are You Really?


pic source [1]

I'm prepping mentally for yet another interview. Postulating answers to questions they might ask me. But none as familiar as "Tell me about yourself".

As we sit there in our best clothes and wear a beautiful fake smile, I wonder why this person would ask such a question with a document containing my every move since high school on it. I ask myself "Isn't it obvious that I'm a well rounded college graduate looking for a job?" So in response to the enigmatic quandary I simply regurgitate everything written on my resume with maybe one or two things not on the paper for brownie points then plaster on another smile.

But alas something inside feels hallow. I get a sick feeling in the pit of my stomach at the realization that sometimes in order to get what we want, we have to be who we're not. The truth is I'm not the Type-A personality recruiters salivate at the prospect of hiring. But I know by acting like one, my chances of getting the job increase by 60%. Moments like this happen all the time in every aspect of life.

A subtle thing that most people don't notice about me is the fact that I change my vernacular to match the crowd I happen to be around. Is this being fake? In a word yes. But if that allows the person I'm interacting with to be a little more comfortable, is it wrong? Is it wrong to put on a show of being conservative to get a job you've always dreamed of when the true you is wild child? Is it wrong to act like a highly adventurous, spontaneous, out of the box character to impress a person you really like? Is it wrong to put on a happy face after something terrible has happen in your life?

Ask yourself, have you ever really gotten anything from anyone without having to insert a little white lie here or there? Most likely not.

The truth is, being authentic is a more difficult than people think. Sure we can show it off a bit, but there comes a time when we need to censor our true selves. The absolutely true version of yourself is really only reserved for you. Even your closest ally, lover or family member will never know your deepest darkest secret, your lifelong fantasy, your greatest fear, etc. No one can ever know you but you.

So when the statement "Tell me about yourself" is presented, remember that revealing the true you is not what they want to hear. Society wants to hear the story of a person is some pocket size version of a super hero. They want to hear that you can perform miracles but  be broken if necessary.  They want your personality type to match their fantasy. They want you to be someone they are comfortable being around.

So who are you really? You are whatever you need to be to get what you want.

Enjoy
xxx

2 comments:

That girl; Saadiya said...

I wouldn't particularly see it as being fake. Well there is a difference between maybe someone who acts a certain way who does not believe in it at all and someone who acts differently around different people as they have different sides to their personality. Some of my friends are so different in so many ways that I find myself being different people when I am around them, but I wouldn't call it acting as those personalities also reflect the different sides to me also.. If any of that made sense!
I hate those questions in interviews though, they don't REALLY want to know about you, they just want to know what you can bring to the table really!
Nice post! :)

Shirley T. said...

"those personalities also reflect the different sides to me"...Brilliant! I love that perspective on it.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...