Pages

1.10.2011

Negative Nancy


Today I found myself extremely discouraged. I ran across a great news article with information that could save people money. So as a good Samaritan I passed the information to my family members first thinking they would be elated by the news. Unfortunately, I was wrong. It turns out, the information I passed on was described as 'hokey' and 'nonapplicable.' I would love to tell you I took it with a grain of salt but I was very irritated. As they were refuting my corroborated advice, I literally saw the face of society. It was like one person was expressing the ideals of a million minds, and even though we were talking about a small topic that probably only affects a small population, the principal of the matter is what really bothered me. I was trying to help them and they didn't want it.

Here's the sad but true reality of life which (puts a dent in my joy experiment), some people don't want to change at all. Some people will feel nothing but offense when you offer advice. Some people just find joy in misery. It makes me wonder that if the world were in dire need of help from mankind, would man do his part in saving the earth by giving a helping hand? I know this seems a bit broad, but the correlation is undeniable. There are people who have accepted and find comfort in misery. They strongly believe in the philosophy Every man for himself. These people can't wait to talk about how bad their day was. They are flaw finders. They hate when people correct them, and often times they refuse to let go of old ways and modernize. Fortunately what brings me hope is the fact that there are those who live their lives looking for joy and happiness. Those who see criticism as constructive, and weigh the pros and con of all ancient and modern information. Those who are constantly evolving, yet still remain true to themselves.

Finding the balance is difficult. It is only hard because sometimes the people closest to us are the very people who are Negative Nancy's. So the lesson here is learning how to remain positive and cool inspite of how negative Nancy is. Do not indulge Nancy with rhetoric or bitter words, because they will only succeed in bringing us down to their level. This will by far be one of my greatest challenges and something I hope you can take with you throughout your life. Stay positive.

Enjoy
xxx

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...