Pages

1.02.2011

Tasty Pallets: Jamaican Fried Dumplings



A while ago I took a trip through the Caribbean and came across this delicious treat. Upon first bite, I realized I was truly in heaven because my mouth salivated at the idea of a second bite. Dare I say it, but I think I would have died a happy woman that day. I had almost forgotten about the dumpling until one day I was starving and craving something with Caribbean flare. Viola! My memory of my Caribbean cruise came back to me. So I googled the ingredients.

Jamaican Dumplings are so simple to make and taste great. It almost reminds me of fried dough with no sugar added.

2 Cups of Flour
1 Cup of Cold Milk or Water
2 Tsp Butter
1 Tsp Salt
1 Tsp Honey
1 Tsp Baking Powder
1 Cup Oil for frying

Directions:
  • In a large bowl, stir together the flour, baking powder, honey and salt. Rub in the butter until it is in pieces no larger than peas. Mix in water/milk 1 tablespoon at a time just until the mixture is wet enough to form into a ball. The dough should be a firm consistency. Knead briefly.
  • Heat the oil in a large heavy skillet over medium heat until hot. Break off pieces of the dough and shape into a patty - kind of like a flat biscuit. Place just enough of the dumplings in the pan so they are not crowded. Fry on each side until golden brown, about 3 minutes per side. Remove from the pan and drain on paper towels before serving.
Enjoy
xxx

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

they got these in Nicaragua too. good. Freddy

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...