Pages

1.18.2011

College is a Waste


Everyone says a college education is the key to success. We spend hundred of thousands of dollars invested in receiving just that. We spend the first 18 years of lives preparing to get into university, filled with pressure from our parents, test preparation deadlines, and interviews at top Universities. But once we've gotten into the University, is it really worth what it has cost us? Last month I made a donation to a young girl who racked up $80,000 in students loans with a degree in sociology. I myself have almost $40k in loans in a field I no longer care to be in, and know plenty of people who like myself, are carrying a load of debt from attending college. So what did all that money really go towards? Wait until you here this!

The report retrieved from the book Academically Adrift revealed that when in college/university students actually spend 51% of their time socializing! Only about 9% of our time is actually spent learning while remainder of our time is spent working, volunteering, etc. If you are not outraged by this you should be. I have come to realise that although I value my education and my time spent at college, what I really am paying for right now are my experiences: all the parties, mixers, and other miscellaneous things that had absolutely nothing to to with learning. We go into college striving to learn how to get a job when we should really focus our time on making money work for us, or learning how to function in the real world. The money used to fund education would be better spent traveling the world, starting a business, and being donated to charity. Our education is not solely dependent on a diploma. Our education is everywhere in everything that we surround ourselves with.

Remember that university is first and foremost a business. They may make claims to be offering you the golden ticket to life, but from experience I learned that charm, charisma, and wit can trump any diploma. The best education comes not from knowing many things, but knowing where to find the answer. If university is your coice, you better be milking it for every penny. So before you make an attempt to invest in your education, resort to college only if you can afford to pay the price.

Read article here

Enjoy
xxx

4 comments:

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Feda said...

I really could not agree more...Just started paying for my debt this month...30,000 in debt for a degree I'm no longer interested in using and even if I wanted to use it the jobs out there don't have you using anything you learned! I def feel robbed! Thanks for posting, at least I know I'm not alone!

Unknown said...

Our education is everywhere in everything that we surround ourselves with.

College allows you the opportunity to be surrounded by diversity and people with different forms of knowledge.. College is misconstrued as a textbook and classroom sanctuary... In actuality is much more... Its a venue of mass socialization and well roundedness.. Being away at school teaches you how to juggle and cope with multiple life activities at once...

I learned to perfect the talents I was taught as a kid, such as nutrition, laundry, work and school all at once... All while dealing with my surroundings and hobbies...

And i must say, there are ways to go for almost free... And I am one of the ones who do work in my field, and my job is paying for my Master's... I feel it paid off. My degree puts me into a circle I wouldn't be a part of otherwise.

Everything in life is only as good as what YOU make it...

Shirley T. said...

@Feda Thanks for commenting! Keep hope alive, with talents like your you are definite to go far

@northside
I agree with you on many points. As I said before I do appreciate my time at college however, my experience came with a large price tag. As you pointed out, you learned many life skills that I would argue could have been learned outside of school. I believe that we have been conditioned to believe that college is the only way to get where we want to go when in actuality it's not. Thomas Edison, Henry Ford, and many other sucessful millionaire made it through life not through formal education but through their ability and burning desire to get what they want. I guess my outrage is mostly based on financial reprecussions. Going to school for free will put me into another rant about the whole scholarship system. Lol. I guess to each his own. Loved your feedback!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...